About this set

OXFORD UNIVERSITY

Ref WRS

Architects represented: AHRENDS BURTON & KORALEK; ARCHITECTS CO-PARTNERSHIP; ARUP ASSOCIATES; STEPHEN HODDER; ARNE JACOBSEN; MAC CORMAC, JAMIESON, PRICHARD; GILLESPIE KIDD &. COIA; LESLIE MARTIN & COLIN ST JOHN WILSON; RICK MATHER; POWELL & MOYA; ALISON & PETER SMITHSON; JAMES STIRLING & PARTNERS

Both Oxford City and University have doubled in size since 1900 and new buildings have appeared to cope with this growth. Since about 1960 there has been a succession of buildings for the Colleges in the modern style which Oxford had hitherto been reluctant to accept. We show here a selection of the best in the University. Most date from the 70's, 80s and 90's, but a few earlier ones of particular interest have been included. St John's College, the wealthiest among the older colleges, set the scene with ABK's 'Beehives' building in 1958. Arne Jacobsen gained international admiration with the formal and complete St Catherine's College in 1964 (which has only recently been cleverly extended by Stephen Hodder) -- this in the same year as Leslie Martin's cubist Law Library. Four years later James Stirling shocked the world with his unsteady-looking Florey Building for Queen's. Innovation continued in the 70's with the Smithson's little Garden Building for St Hilda's and ABK's brilliant design for Keble with its snake-like glass 'corridor' and high glazed walls backed by a fortress-like brick enclosure. A more aggressive functionalism followed with the repeated concrete structural bays of Powell & Moya and Arup Associates. But in the 80's MacCormac introduced a softer style more related to historic or vernacular precedents. Most recent of all is Rick Mather's building for Keble which attempts to fit in with the original exuberant decorative brickwork.